Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Helping the Homeless

There are many local and regional organizations that are helping the homeless and struggling families.

Here are a few that I discovered in my recent round of reporting:

The Douglas Gardens Thrift Store in Miami is selling quality merchandise at steep discounts. What’s more, in its warehouse, the company is also selling clothing for 50 cents a garment. And through FEMA, the store is providing merchandise to hard-pressed families, according to Hecdor Nunez, assistant manager.


Likewise Grubstake, a second-hand store, has donated most of its inventory to struggling families from Louisiana and Florida, who have been left homeless by either Hurricane Katrina or Wilma. For example, during a recent two-day period, Grubstake provided furniture and other household materials to five families, according to Heather Klinker, founder and head volunteer.

“What I need are donors,” Klinker said. “Rule of Thumb: Would you give it to your best friend. That’s what we want.”

If you have items that are suitable for donation: Please contact Grubstake at 305-573-2976. They will pick up your merchandise.

email: grubstaketoday@aol.com

Their tagline: "Share your abundance at our operation center."

2 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger kami said...

Hello,I am s single mother of two small boys and i am in need of help, we are homeless and i don't have any family here to really help, i have been calling the beds hotline for over three weeks now to get in a shelter i every day they tell me the same thingh, " we don't have any beds for families", therefore i don't know what to do because that is the only place that we can call for help in broward county, if there is any one out thare that can help me please my email address is kandi_514@yahoo.com, please i really need some help, if even for my babies they are 2&3 and they really don't understand why we are in this position, thank you and God bless

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great information you got here. I've been reading about this topic for one week now for my papers in school and thank God I found it here in your blog. I had a great time reading this.miami beach luxury condos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home